Our History

...how it all started...

  • 1803

    1803

    Wiesbaden is the capital and seat of government of the Dukedom of Nassau. For this reason Wiesbaden grows enormously with regard to the number of inhabitants at the beginning of the 19th century. The amount of inhabitants doubles every 20 years.

    Picture credits: Stadtarchiv Wiesbaden, Datierung 1800, eventuell Kupferstich

  • 1804

    1804

    In order to cope with the increasing number of inhabitants, the old city walls are pulled down. At the northern edge of the city centre at that time, on the edge of the future pentagon, residential quarters for citizens, craftsmen and petit bourgeois are built, at the so-called “Heidenberg”, and on the hill to the former Roman fortification.

    “… most suitably, without disturbing the seeming propriety, such modest dwellings can be built…” Quote from an unknown source

    They were small one-story houses with one room, kitchen and attic. In the vernacular, because of the small dimensions of the houses, the area is called “Katzelochquartier” (cats-hole-dwellings).

    At that time the ‘Röder-Street’ is situated far beyond the city centre. As was reported, the area was swampy and difficult to build on.

    “… not only far away from the city, but also so soft and thickly muddy, so that horses or men could hardly pass through it…” Quote from an unknown source

    Picture credits: Stadtarchiv Wiesbaden, gezeichnet von C. G. Schütz

  • 1812 -1860

    1812 -1860

    The house in Röderstraße No. 39 is erected by Konrad Ryhl and used as a dwelling-house.

    1818

    The municipal architect Christian Zais lays out the historic pentagon, consisting of Wilhelmstraße, Ringstraße, Schwalbacher Straße Taunusstraße and Röderstraße. By this measure the not so picturesque city centre is supposed to be ‘hidden’. From now on there are strict rules how the outer facades should be designed. The modern housing estates beside the pentagon are designed in a big and ‘metropolis-like’ style. Magnificent facades and newly layed-out wide streets are now a dominant feature of the city panorama.

    1860

    Beginning of the tradition of the ‘Poppeschänkelche’. Mention of the first “Apple-wine-pub”. The name “Poppenschänkelchen”, deriving from Puppenschänke (doll’s tavern) is first used.

    Picture credits: Stadtarchiv Wiesbaden, „Album von Wiesbaden“ ca. 1865

  • 1866-1870

    1866-1870

    The end of the “German War”. Nassau is annexed by Prussia. The emperor and his entourage arrive in Wiesbaden. Sovereigns and rich merchants discover Wiesbaden as their domicile. From this time onward Wiesbaden becomes a world spa city. Wiesbaden is expanded by villas beside the actual city centre – the “historic pentagon”. The area of the “Katzeloch” (cat-hole) does not stay unaffected by this development. The neighbourhood is now bursting at the seams. The houses in this area are refurbished on the outside, enlarged, and featured with bays and stucco. Much is pulled down and built up in a bigger fashion. But on the inside all remains “petty-bourgeois”.

    Only the house in Röderstraße, No.39, the “Poppenschänkelche”, stays unaffected by this. As the last little house of the “Katzeloch” it is preserved for posterity.

    1870

    The beer tavern of the ‘Reichelbräu’ is brought into being. It is the only outlet of the Reichelbräu in the state of Hesse. In the mean time the “Poppenschänkelchen” is run by Friedrich Eschbächer.

    Picture credits: Stadtarchiv Wiesbaden, Album von Wiesbaden“ ca. 1865

  • 1903

    1903

    The beer-wagon of the Reichelbräu arrives in order to fill up the supplies in the cellars of the “Poppenschänkelchen”. A queue forms of people wanting to take home fresh draught “blonde beer” in their own pitchers.

    Picture credits: Postkarte, Bobbeschänkelche von 1903, Verlag unbekannt

  • 1910-1936

    1910-1936

    Son-in-law Fritz Rauch takes over the tavern now. In this time travelling craftsmen create ‘hoptentrills-plaster work’ on the inside and outside. At this point in time it is painted in different colours. Now the name “Poppenschänkelchen” is changed to the name known today as “Bobbeschänkelche”.

    Here the motto is created:
    “Vom Großvater bis zum Enkelche, geh’n se all ins Bobbeschänkelche“ (From grandfather to grandchild, they all go to the Bobbeschänkelche“.

    1936

    Fritz Rauch sells the house and tavern to his wife Johanna.

    Picture credits: Postkarte Bobbeschänkelche, ca. 1910-1930, Verlag: unbekannt.

  • 1950-2003

    1950-2003

    The married couple Meder runs the “Bobbeschänkelche” now. The beautifully cosy tavern is furnished with antiques and curios, and is at this point the meeting place for business people and entrepreneurs from Wiesbaden.

    1975

    Peter Schönthal, former manager of the hotel “Schwarzen Bock” becomes the leaseholder in this year. Here “abundant festivities” are supposed to have taken place.

    1985

    Gudrun and Günther Dressler take over the tavern, the popularity of which remains unchanged.

    2000

    The house is acquired by Dr. Hermann and Dr. Barbara Doerr.

    2003

    As leaseholders now Gudrun and Rainer Loß take over the traditional Tavern.

    Picture credits: Postkarte Bobbeschänkelche, ca. 1910-1930, Verlag: unbekannt.

  • from 2010

    from 2010

    “150 years Bobbeschänkelche”

    To this day, and for 140 years now, the Reichelbrauerei from Kulmbach remains the ‘house supplier” of the Bobbeschänkelche. After all these years one can still enter the basically unchanged little house via a small steep staircase. The sales hatch for the street-sale of beer in the entrance area, the lead-glazed coloured windows, the stucco – the listed 150 years old grapevines growing over the court tavern, the old wooden paneling and the old wooden tables – one feels transported back to past times.

    When you shut your eyes and enjoy a “cool beer” from the Kulmbach brewery, you can imagine how it was 150 years ago, when a tradition took its course.

    Picture credits: Bild Bobbeschänkelche von 2003.

 

 

Opening Hours

Monday-Sunday: from 17:30 Uhr
Sunday and on Public Holidays: from 17:30 Uhr

Contact

Restaurant Bobbeschänkelche
Röderstraße 39 - 65183 Wiesbaden
Tel: +49 (0)611 - 52 79 59
Fax:+49 (0)611 - 589 38 34